All students ages 4 and up who are interested in piano and are willing to make the efforts are all happily welcomed. A strong sense of commitment and respect is expected for those that are accepted into the studio.
The lesson length for each student is determined by the teacher. One lesson per student each week is required. Lesson lengths are available in: 30 minute; 45 minute or 60 minute increments.
Effective June 2018, students must register by July 31 for the entire upcoming academic year. The academic year begins in September 2018 and concludes in June 2019. If students are not registered by July 31st, their spot is no longer guaranteed.
Additionally, new payment policies will go into effect for the 2018-2019 Academic Year. Tuition payments are available as follows:
- Payment in full for the entire academic year (September - June)
- Two equal installments for the academic year (September and January are the installment months)
- Monthly installments by check, cash or credit card. All monthly installments are due the week before the first lesson of the upcoming month.
- Credit Cards: will be kept on file and charged automatically on the 1st of each month. Upon registering for the 2018-2019 Academic Year you will receive a credit card authorization form to complete. This completed form will be kept on file and charged each month of the academic year.
- Checks and cash: Payments made using checks or cash must be paid prior to your first lesson of the upcoming month. For example, September 2018 monthly payment must be received prior to the first September 2018 lesson. There will be a $10 late fee applied if payment is not received timely.
If you enroll in the middle of a semester, tuition will be prorated. We accept cash, checks and credit cards.
The Yearly Registration Fee of $30 must be paid in advance of the start of the year to reserve your spot on the schedule.
THE YEARLY REGISTRATION FEE AND TUITION WILL BE NON-REFUNDABLE.
Any returned check will be assessed $35 fee to cover the charge incurred from our bank. Recurring returned checks will force me to no longer accept them from you as a payment option.
Tuition does not include student books and materials. All lesson books and learning materials will be purchased by the teacher, then invoiced to families after they are ordered and received. While every effort is made to purchase materials locally and at the lowest cost available, sometimes orders are purchased elsewhere and will incur an additional shipping fee. An invoice will be emailed to families and are asked to bring payment in the form of cash or check to the student's next lesson. The studio does not accept credit cards to pay for student books and materials.
- Students are expected to arrive to lessons and recitals on time. Any time missed due to lateness to lessons will not be made up. This is important because one's lateness can interfere with other students' lesson times.
- Students are expected to practice at home and homework will be assigned at the conclusion of each lesson. Beginners MUST follow the PRACTICE DIRECTIONS given to them. DAILY PRACTICE (at LEAST 5 days and preferably 7) is required and expected in order to make progress. Please schedule practice time into the students daily schedule. Practice needs to become a HABIT! It is recommended that parents assist and monitor practice sessions and provide a quiet environment for practicing.
- Parental involvement for students under the age of 8 is strongly recommended. For older students, if no progress is made, parents will be asked to monitor practicing. Parents are always welcome to sit in on the lesson.
- It is IMPERATIVE and EXPECTED that students will bring ALL lesson materials and assignment books to each and every lesson.
- Please have your child come to lessons with nails trimmed and clean hands.
Make-up Lesson Policy
At Applause Piano Studio, when a student commits to a lesson day and time, it is expected that he/she will honor this commitment. This is a commitment on both our parts. Missed lessons for any reason will not be made up. It is expected and required that you contact the teacher should the student be unable to attend their scheduled lesson.
Where possible and upon agreement, if you are unable to attend a lesson due to INCLEMENT WEATHER, FaceTime is available for the studio and the student to facilitate the lesson. Consent to use FaceTime will be completed on the registration form.
A "make-up week" is built into both Fall and Spring semesters, however, this week is reserved for either teacher illness or inclement weather. Extenuating circumstances, (i.e. hospitalization) will be considered on a case-by-case basis and you are encouraged to communicate in a timely fashion.
Please note that there is no makeup week during the summer session.
SPORTS AND EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
I care deeply about my students and consistency in their lessons. In the event the students’ lesson day and time coincides with any other activity or event, you need to discuss this as a family and make a choice to attend or not attend your lesson. Your decision must be communicated to the teacher. There are no makeups for missed lessons. (Exceptions: hospitalization, teacher illness, inclement weather)
It is in your best interest to select a day and time that does not incur a conflict with other activities. You should keep this in mind when adding additional activities to your child’s schedule. Be sure to inform coaches, dance instructors, team leaders, etc. that you are unavailable the day and time frame of the piano lesson. When a child misses school for any reason, the institution does not provide a “makeup” day to learn missed work. This studio carries that same policy.
Lessons cancelled due to inclement weather will be posted on the website by 2 pm. If you agreed to FaceTime the lesson that occurs due to inclement weather, please text a reminder to 518-573-1790 before 3 pm that you will be prepared to receive that call during your regularly scheduled lesson. If you do not agree to FaceTime a lesson, that lesson will be made up during "Makeup Week" posted on the Studio Calendar. Please note that these makeup weeks are due to teacher illness, teacher emergencies or inclement weather ONLY.
There will be no make-up sessions for the Summer semester.
Termination of Lessons
It is expected that students will commit to lessons for the academic year (September-June). The month of July is an option. If for any reason the parent or student decides to terminate a one month's notice is required. This notification allows for proper arrangements that will appropriately conclude the student's piano study. Reminder: Tuition is NON-REFUNDABLE.
In the event that your teacher is unable to teach due to illnesses or other emergencies, lessons will be rescheduled or made up during the make-up session week which are the weeks following the end of both the Fall and Spring semesters.
Holidays and Breaks
All students are expected to take lessons from September through June, with July as optional. The studio will be closed on the following holidays/dates and tuition is accounted for these breaks:
- Columbus Day
- Thanksgiving Week (Tuesday - Friday)
- Winter Break, February Break and Spring Break
- Easter Holy Week
- Memorial Day
- Fourth of July
- The month of August
- Additional holidays may be announced throughout the year
Please frequently check your email and the website, especially on the day of your child’s lesson. In the event there is an emergency or the teacher is ill, an email will be sent to you.
In the event of inclement weather, the closing of the studio will be posted on the website. Please communicate by phone call or text, if you are running late. In the event that your child will miss their lesson, due to unforeseen circumstances, illness, etc., this MUST be communicated no later than an hour before the start of their lesson.
In addition, you are always welcome to email or call to discuss anything to do with your child and their progress. Communication is key in any business. Your child is important to me, so please don’t hesitate to call if you have a question, if you or your child is unsure of an assignment, etc.
- To maintain a clean teaching and learning environment for all, parents and students are requested to please remove their shoes upon entering the house. There is a boot tray and a bin to place shoes in the right by the door.
- Please be sure that the student's fingernails are short and hands and fingernails clean!
- PARKING: Every effort is made to provide ample parking. Please park or back in STRAIGHT in front of the garage doors. DO NOT park ACROSS the parking area. This does not give the next student arriving enough room to park their vehicle.
- Please be aware that this is a shared driveway. Please do not park in the "turn around," on the lawn or blocking the drive to the neighbors.
- Thank you, in advance for following these rules.